September 2021 Is Healthy Aging Month
Healthy Aging Month is September 2021. The American Academy of Ophthalmology celebrates Healthy Aging Month by making seniors aware of steps to take care of their eyesight. The focus is on increasing awareness specific to the signs and symptoms of vision loss. The “Healthy Aging Campaign” was established 15 years ago, and since then, individuals help others become aware of their physical and mental health, diet, social skills, and even financial situations; all factors that contribute to successful aging.
Throughout Healthy Aging Month, September 2021, many organizations increase the awareness on how adults 45 and older can live healthier and happier lives by promoting events where older adults can learn to improve their physical, mental, social, and financial health.
Did you know that approximately one in six Americans aged 65 and older have a vision impairment that cannot be corrected with glasses or contact lenses? Many older adults neglect to see an ophthalmologist for eye care. It is important to note that the risk of eye disease increases with age and our vision deteriorates.
Glaucoma Is One Of The Leading Causes Of Blindness For People Over Age 60
Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of blindness for people over the age of 60. It may occur at any age. However, it is more common in older adults. Approximately 2.7 million in the U.S. have glaucoma, and 50% of males and 50% of females are unaware that they have glaucoma. By 2030 4.2 million people in the U.S. will have glaucoma.
Keeping Your Eyes Healthy As You Age (Bausch.com):
- Eat a Balanced Diet. As part of your healthy diet, choose foods rich in antioxidants, like Vitamins A and C; foods like leafy, green vegetables and fish. …
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Wash your hands
- Don’t Smoke
- Wear Sunglasses
- Devices and Blue Light
- Wear Sunglasses
- Use Safety Eyewear
- Look Away from the Computer Screen regularly
- Visit Your Eye Doctor Regularly
Have A Positive Attitude And Approach To Aging Healthy (Unicity HealthCare):
- Positive Attitude– Keep a positive attitude throughout life. Focus on the positive, taking hold of any problems and addressing them properly and you will find that you will be happier in your life.
- Don’t “Act Your Age”– Forget that “number” – it’s only a number, after all! Live life looking forward to activities and actions that make you smile and forget about your age!
- Be Proactive– Take charge of your health and research the many ways you can use your Health Insurance to take proactive steps in keeping healthy. You’re entitled to a variety of healthcare screenings as you get older; and it’s important to know exactly what tests and screenings you should be having, based on your age and gender.
- Try Something New– It’s never too late to make changes and become a whole new you! Take up a new hobby, learn a language, take a class, or join a book club. Making your life interesting is one of the best ways to focus on healthy aging.
- Embrace Your Creativity– You may be surprised that you have an artistic side to you if you check out classes on painting, sketching, or drawing. If your artistic talents are limited try adult coloring books that you can color with pencils.
- Surround Yourself With Positivity– Your mental health plays a very important part in healthy aging and surrounding yourself with people who make you smile and laugh makes healthy aging even easier.
What Should You Do?
- Contact us to set up an eye exam if you have not had a routine exam this year so that we can determine your eye health.
- Take control based on our recommendations.